I found this old recipe from years back so I decided to make these yesterday afternoon while hubby was watching the six nations rugby! Instead of using blueberries, I had a bag of frozen summer fruits in the freezer, which I decided to use and they turned out a treat!! Served with a cuppa, they were gobbled down in a flash!
This is a super little recipe, one to keep and adapt.
MAKES 12 / TIME 30 MIN / 222 CALS / 9G FAT PER MUFFIN
- 100g unsalted butter (melted)
- 200g blueberries (or summer berries)
- 300g self raising flour
- 130g caster sugar
- large pinch of ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 250ml milk
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to gas 6 / 200°C / 400°F
- Line a 12-hole standard muffin tin with muffin cases
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat on the stove / carefully melt butter in a microwaveable dish on a low setting, set aside
- Place blueberries / summer fruit in a large bowl and stir in flour, sugar and cinnamon until well combined
- Place butter and remaining ingredients into a jug and whisk to combine
- Pour into dry ingredients and mix until mixture resembles a thick batter
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until each are approximately two-thirds full
- Dust a pinch of caster sugar over each one (optional) and bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and golden
- Serve warm or cold
Muffins keep for about 3 days in an airtight container, if they are not gobbled down before then!
Tips: Avoid over-mixing the batter –> those unattractive lumps are what give the muffins their texture!
If you’re watching your weight, then cut the butter to 60g. They will still be delicious, but will need to be eaten the same day (!)
EXPERIMENT: Leave out the berries and try these instead!
- Chocolate & Pear: chop 1 peeled pear and add 100g chopped chocolate to dry ingredients.
- Peach & Ricotta: chop 2 stoned peaches and stir into dry ingredients. Roughly break up 4Tbsp ricotta and gently fold into batter just before spooning into cases.
- Banana & Peach: chop 2 bananas and 75g pecans to approximately the size of blueberries and stir into dry ingredients.
Please like and subscribe for more delicious recipes!